So easy to make, turkey and chicken do not seem the same without it and it tastes much better than a packet mix. Bread sauce can be frozen so, along with stuffing, can be made ahead for Christmas or a family meal.
- 1 onion cut in half
- 6-8 cloves or a pinch of powdered
- salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 800ml milk
- 175g breadcrumbs (about 8 medium slices)
- a knob of butter
- 4 tbsp of double cream – optional
- a little grated nutmeg – optional
- stud each onion half with cloves and put in a saucepan with the milk, salt, pepper and bay leaves
- slowily bring to a simmer, set aside for 1 hour or overnight
- remove onions and bay and stir in breadcrumbs and butter
- heat gently for a few minutes, adding cream and milk if needed to get the right consistency. It will thicken as it stands.