Very quick and easy to make as you throw the ingredients into a food processor! This is a very moist, very chocolaty cake which could be served with cream, ice cream or crème fraiche as a dessert.
1 cooked beetroot – about 175g
200g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
250g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
200ml sunflower oil
100g plain chocolate chopped
Cooking time: 1 hour Cooking temperature:Gas 5 190°C
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Line a large loaf tin or square cake tin. ( It should hold 2 litres of water to give an idea of size)
3. Roughly chop the beetroot and blitz in a processor.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the oil and chocolate, and a pinch of salt and blitz until well mixed.
5. With the processor going add the oil in a steady stream.
6. Use the pulse button to mix in the chocolate without chopping it.
7. Tip into the cake tin and bake for about 1 hour until a skewer comes out almost clean. If you use a square cake tin the cake will take less time to cook than in a loaf tin.
8. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out.