A special collaboration launched this week gives food lovers the chance to discover some of the finest produce the New Forest has to offer.
New Forest Business of the Year The Forest Foodie and the New Forest Marque have come together to celebrate truly local food and drink.
Hamper specialist The Forest Foodie has created an exclusive four-course menu to showcase growers and producers who have been awarded the New Forest Marque, the sign of New Forest provenance.
The dine-at-home meal is delivered direct to your door and features a mouth-watering array of local ingredients including beef from cows that have roamed the open Forest, fish caught off the South Coast and the freshest New Forest fruit and veg.
Whether you are a resident or a visitor, the menu offers the perfect way to experience a taste of the real New Forest and support local businesses linked to the local landscape, who have the Forest at the heart of their offering.
The Marque menu kicks off with delicious smoked mackerel pate, microgreens, and sourdough bread, followed by tender beef wellington made with mushrooms, garlic roasted asparagus, dauphinoise potatoes, red wine, and a demi-glace sauce. Next up is a summery strawberry cheesecake, then cheese, biscuits, and chutney, all accompanied by a bottle of sparkling wine.
The Forest Foodie was set up by Lymington-based Flora Richardson and specialises in offering picnics, hampers and meals sourced from New Forest food and drink producers. Flora’s dine-at-home menus are delivered to your home or holiday let fully prepared, with just a few simple instructions on how to pop it in the oven and re-heat the sauce.
A New Forest Marque member, The Forest Foodie has flourished despite being launched during the Covid-19 pandemic; in December Flora picked up two awards at the New Forest Brilliance in Business Awards, taking home The New Forest Marque Award for the Best Food & Drink Business and the overall award New Forest Business of the Year.
Flora said: ‘We are delighted to be offering this menu in collaboration with the New Forest Marque, which showcases some of the incredible local suppliers and ingredients available on our doorstep. It’s what we are all about and the reason I set up The Forest Foodie – to support as many brilliant local businesses as possible, to tell their stories and to bring local produce together in the form of hampers, picnics, and dinners.’
The New Forest Marque is a food and produce scheme which champions businesses who pride themselves on producing and providing food, drinks and crafts with clearly defined New Forest provenance. The New Forest Marque is awarded to produce which has been grown, reared, caught, brewed, produced or processed within the New Forest. The New Forest Marque, supported by the New Forest National Park Authority, also works to protect, encourage, and promote the traditional farming practices which help fashion the iconic landscape found in the New Forest.
Claire Lee, New Forest Marque Manager said: ‘The Forest Foodie offers simply mouth-watering, wonderful food delivered direct to your door. Selecting a Marque dine-at-home delivery will bring you fabulous flavours of the New Forest but will also help the New Forest Marque producers who supply Flora with their delicious ingredients for this amazing menu. Enjoy, and thank you for supporting local.’
The New Forest Marque menu is £55 per head and delivered for free within 10 miles of Lymington, to wider New Forest locations for a small delivery charge and is available for collection from The Forest Foodie in Milford Road, Lymington.
The New Forest Marque menu
Forest Foodie smoked mackerel pate, New Forest microgreens, and sourdough bread
New Forest beef wellington made with New Forest mushrooms, garlic roasted New Forest asparagus, dauphinoise potatoes, red wine & demi-glace sauce
New Forest strawberry cheesecake
New Forest Garlic & Nettle Cheese and Stoney Cross Cheese, with biscuits and New Forest chutney
A Bottle of Brook Hill Sparkling Wine
The New Forest Marque menu suppliers:
- Fish supplied by New Forest Fish and Shellfish, Danestream Farm, New Milton: Fisherman Scott and son Bart catch and sell fresh fish, using low impact methods, landed daily to ensure the best quality fish and shellfish.
- Microgreens supplied by Lightfoot’s Farm, Sway: Growers of microgreens, bursting with nutrition, flavour, and colour, perfect for a variety of uses including fine dining, salads, snacks, and smoothies.
- Beef supplied by The Commoner’s Larder: Family-run commoning farm rearing livestock using traditional Forest methods, producing high-quality meat and eggs, with outstanding flavour, texture and colour.
- Mushrooms supplied by New Forest Mushrooms: A wide variety of farmed mushroom types grown free of chemicals, manually picked and delivered fresh around the New Forest area.
- Asparagus and strawberries supplied by The New Forest Fruit Company: Growers and distributers of the UK’s earliest, sweetest soft fruit and a specialist in strawberries and asparagus.
- Potatoes supplied by Country Fare: A family-run supplier of fresh, local, and seasonal produce, including fruit and vegetables, dairy, and breads.
- Cheese supplied by Lyburn Farm: A variety of handmade artisan cheeses, all of which are made from milk from the farm’s own cows.
- Chutney supplied by Naked Jam: Natural jam made by hand in copper saucepans using only the bare ingredients, ethically sourced and bursting with flavour.
- Wine supplied by Brook Hill Vineyard: A family-run vineyard where grapes are hand-picked, crushed, and fermented to make a range of award-winning still and sparkling wines.