Pre-heat the oven to 180oC, 350oF, Gas Mark 4
Recipe supplied by Jenny & John Howat – Howats Hives
- 175g chopped almonds
- 45ml (3tbsp) sesame seeds
- 225g walnut pieces
- 5ml (1tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2.5ml (½tsp) ground cloves
- 225g filo pastry
- 50-75g butter, melted
- 8 whole cloves
- 100g granulated sugar
- 60ml clear honey
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 5ml (1tsp) vanilla essence
1. In a bowl mix together the almonds, sesame seeds, walnuts, cinnamon and cloves.
2. Brush a 23-25.5cm shallow round oven proof dish with melted butter.
3. Brush 4 sheets of filo with melted butter and layer in the dish.
4. Spoon half the walnut mixture into the dish on top of the filo. Repeat, finishing with a layer of filo then tuck the ends of the filo down the sides of the dish.
5. Score into 8 portions with a sharp knife and press a whole clove into the centre of each portion.
6. Bake for 45 minutes. When the pastry is brown enough (after about 30 minutes), cover loosely with foil to prevent it from browning any more.
7. To make the syrup: dissolve the sugar and honey in 90ml (6tbsp) water over a very gentle heat. Allow to bubble for 5 minutes, them remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and vanilla.
8. When the baklava comes out of the oven, carefully spoon the warm syrup over it.
9. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.